Monday, July 9, 2012

My stay in Chevak

So the past few days we have run program.  Unfortunately, I'm not to share pictures of the kids or of work and out of respect for the people I work for (and so I can continue to work at a place I love to work) I'm not going to share much of that.  I'll keep the travel blog just to the travel part of my trip.

During my time off, I've like to wander around a bit so I'll just share those pictures with you.

The school- also my home for the week- pretty awesome that it was nice and new and right by the water.

 Some of the kids showing me how to hunt bird eggs.  Didn't find any but it was fascinating to hear about all the things they make with the eggs.  Their favorite?  Hard boiled swan eggs with salt.

 Look on the roof top- there are walrus tusks drying out.

 I may not be able to post pics of my campers- but their artwork is ok!  This project was based on identity-  most kids I do this with have focused on their individual identity but out here it's all about their cultural identity.  Community pride is huge.  I also just recently learned the difference between Yupik and Cupik and as I understand it Cupik is sort of like a different dialect of the language.... kind of like Mexican spanish and Spain spanish.  



These signs were posted in the school-  I took photos of some of my favorite values of their culture.


 Lots of Native art throughout the school.  Love looking at it, I just wish I had someone to explain it all to me.  Learning more slowly but it takes a while.

Kayak frame hanging in the library

 A typical village view

 Salmon drying at someone's house

 Post office- most exciting place in the village! 

After living in Illinois for so long I started to wonder if there was anywhere quite as flat.... there is- it's the tundra.  And like cornfields it's usually not picturesque, but it does have it's moments.
 Another great tundra photo

 This little boy was very proud of his adorable puppy and loved that I took his picture.

 boats on the river that goes out to the Bering Sea

My staff partner and I were wandering around and stumbled upon this in someone's yard.... a whale bone?!

Hopefully this gives you all at least a little taste of where I am and what I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment