Thursday, June 21, 2012

Let the Adventures Begin!


For those of you who don't already know, I'm headed to Alaska to spend another summer (this will be my third) and then I'm going to teach abroad in Thailand.   I'm using this 'travel blog' to document what I do, where I go, people I meet, etc.  And while it's obviously going to be a great way to keep in contact with everyone back home, it's a bit selfish in nature too.  I regret not keeping a good record of the places I've been to so far and I'm hoping this will be a way for me to remember my adventures, and even better, share them with others.

Even though I didn't depart Illinois until today, the travel process actually started a while ago.  First I made the decision to actually GO.  I signed up for a TEFL class (Teaching English as Foreign Language) in Phuket Thailand, made arrangements to work in Alaska for another summer and then quit my teaching job.  Yep, I did it.  An incredibly hard decision, but I know it was the right one.  

At last, the school year ended (I had been teaching elementary art and coaching track) and I have spent the last couple weeks visiting with friends and family, getting in doctors/dentists appointments, sorting through everything I own to sell a bunch on eBay and our family garage sale, selling my car, figuring out vaccinations/medications I will need, etc. in preparation to be gone for a while.  And, before I knew it, departure day arrived.

This morning my mom took me to O'hare airport....rather early so she could make it to work on time.  After almost four hours (most of it at the wrong gate...oops!)  we were on our way to Seattle.  My neighbor on the plane was from the Seattle area and offered to drive me to the city and spend the afternoon with me when I mentioned I had a nine hour layover I was dreading.  So, off I went with my new friend to Pike's Place market where we wandered around (watching them throw the fish is always amusing).  We grabbed a bite to eat at a little Greek cafe and I tried some Tully's coffee.  I even passed up the original Starbuck's store just to try a new brew.   After wandering around a bit more, I had to find my way back to the airport.  Asked around, found my way to the light rail station, hopped on the train and made it back to the SeaTac airport.  And here I sit waiting to go to Anchorage, in a rocking chair nonetheless (Seattle is just awesome like that), and finally starting my travel blog.

 Driving in.... Seattle has yet to disappoint.


 Totem Pole... I love the art of the Northwest Coast.  


 New Coffee.  Delicious, but it's no Kaladi Brothers.


 The market.  That blur in the air, yep, it's a fish.


The breeze off the water was awesome.  What a perfect, and random, day in Seattle.


Stay tuned... Alaska adventures coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment