Saturday, June 30, 2012

An Alaskan Wedding

It was kind of last minute, but Saturday we went to a wedding of one of Axel's friends.  I was a bit apprehensive as I wouldn't know anybody (or so I thought) but I knew it was important to him so I just went with it.  He worked for a couple hours Saturday morning, we drove the motor home allllll the way back to Wasilla where he lives, swung by Sears to grab a dress for me (I really don't travel with anything even mildly fancy) and some attire for him and then headed out to Big Lake (named for the big lake there...so clever) where the wedding would be.

And what an awesome wedding.  I mean, even though I didn't really know many people there except a few that I had met on my winter visit, I had tons of fun.  The location was gorgeous, right on the lake, and the weather couldn't have been more perfect, quite warm for Alaska (65 degrees-ish) and sunny, sunny all the way until midnight it seemed.  (For those of you that don't know, it is daylight pretty much all the time in the summer here).  Those things combined with a live band, open bar and good DJ, it was bound to be a fun night.  And a fun night it was.

I don't know if motor homes are as popular in other places as they are here in Alaska.  Several people arrived at the wedding in motor homes, some even rented them just for the occasion.  Really it's quite smart- you can drink as much as you please and have somewhere to sleep.  Why the hell do more people not do this back home?

 Awwwww

 Only in Alaska can you take a picture in which there are multiple boats, a jet ski, a float plane and a helicopter.  As Axel would say, "Alaskans have all the toys".


I lost Ax at one point in the evening.... found him playing drums with the band.

What a beautiful day and location for a wedding.  The best part- it's always light out so we were able to party foreverrrrrr it seemed :)  I think this picture was taken just before midnight.  

After the wedding it was back to Girdwood, Ax had drilling to do on the mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment