Friday, June 29, 2012

Forget skydiving... PARAGLIDING is where it's at

Since I got here, my boyfriend Axel had been wanting to paraglide, and the paragliders were just taunting us flying around in the sky every afternoon and evening.  Ax put me on a mission to investigate it and so I did.... and by that evening our reservations with a couple paraglider pilots were booked.  The cool thing about where we are at is that you can take a tram to the top of a mountain (Alyeska- a big fancy pants ski resort here) and simply fly down.  We had gone skydiving in Cali over my spring break and loved that, and I still think Ax likes skydiving more, but paragliding was the shit (pardon my french). Again, pictures are worth a thousand words, so here you go:

All smiles.


Me with my pilot preparing for take-off.

In flight- so incredibly awesome.  

Just taking off.  With paragliding you just run off the mountain.

Flying


Right before paragliding we were asked by a couple ladies where we were from as their Girl Scout group was trying to meet someone from every state.  "Girlscouts?!"  Instantly we were chatting (I work for Girl Scouts up here).  About 10 young girls informally interviewed me as their leaders recorded it all.  They were a group from New York and were so curious as to how Girl Scouts differed in Alaska.... It was hard to say that we're a bit cooler and more hard core... so I just gave them a bit o' info about all the cool stuff we do.  Hung with them until it was time to glide and they all were my personal little audience when I took off.  And it just so happened that where we went for dinner after flying, the Girlscout group did too.  They wanted to know all about the paragliding and how awesome it was.  It was cool, that even though I wasn't technically working, I was still able to inspire some young ones. It's only been a few weeks without working with kids and I'm kinda missing them!

No comments:

Post a Comment