Friday, September 7, 2012

Week 1 of TEFL class

with some of my classmates outside our school

Well, we survived week 1.  It went by incredibly fast.  We have four different instructors, from four different places, teaching us basically four different things.  The toughest area (for me) is grammar, the most interesting is phonetics (I have to adapt everything into British English for my lessons since that's how our workbooks are) and the most fun is definitely our unknown language course (Thai).  I'm already getting to know the people in my class and am so thankful that they are all pretty cool, and funny, as it makes class a little less boring.  I figured we wouldn't teach until Week 2, but I was wrong... I was teaching a class of Thai students on Wednesday evening...I had only been in this country for five days!  It went well though- Thai's are awesome because if you mess up or they don't get what your trying to teach them they just laugh and giggle about it.   Like I said, the most fun part of the week for me was when Simon taught us Thai. He didn't speak any English at all and by the end we all were able to say and understand in context some basic phrases.  The purpose of the lesson wasn't just to teach us Thai, although that is obviously helpful, but to show us what it is like for our students when they can't ask questions or understand any verbal explanations.

School isn't nearly as interesting as other things so I'll keep this post nice and short.

No comments:

Post a Comment