Friday, September 28, 2012

Week 3 & 4 of TEFL

Week 3:  Definitely a busy week as far as class was concerned- two classes to teach (with increasingly less guidance from the instructors), a one on one lesson assignment, a materials project and a whole lot of studying for the exam to do.  Made it through no problem though- it's really nothing compared to the work load I've had with college and teaching in the past.

 Dinner at 'the American Place' (at which I always order Thai food)

 lesson prepping at the school

Week 4:  Exam was on Monday... not too bad, just a long 3 hours.  Passed without a problem, but didn't ace it like I usually do with tests (not bad though- 89% on grammer and 96% on phonetics).  It only confirmed that in no way am I yet ready for grad school.  Only one 'real' class to teach and the other I had to make a game of some form.  I made a form of the game Trouble... students seemed to like it and it was actually kind of fun to make.  Wrapped up class just in time for my first interview.  Had been applying all over just to see what was here in Phuket as far as jobs are concerned.  Received a phone call for an interview at the Hilton to be a full time employee teaching the other employees English- yeeee haw!  So just as class wrapped up on Thursday and we received our certificates, I was back to preparing lessons.  The interview started with a 30 minute teaching demonstration- talk about intimidating.  Thankfully it went pretty well and I got a free meal out of it (best pad thai with prawn I've had yet).


class photo

showing off my certificate to teach English

No comments:

Post a Comment